< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://jayflemma.travelgolf.com" >

Sunday, June 19, 2005

Jay Flemma interview with Lee Janzen at Pinehurst No. 2 2005 U.S. Open

My interview with Lee, where he discusses both Pinehurst and Baltusrol, site of his 1993 U.S. Open victory and site of this year's PGA is below.

JF: Lee, the PGA returns to baltusrol, sight of your 1993 Open victory. What can you tell us about the architectural design features that make baltusrol great?

LJ: Baltusrol has terrific greens with alot of breaks. The rough is really tough, although it might be a bit of a different setup. It ends with back to back par fives. It's a tough golf course, but a great golf course. it'll be a great host to a great tournament.

JF: What part of Pinehurst did you find more challenging this week, the rough or the devilish greens and chipping areas?

LJ: I had more trouble with the rough. I hit it in some spots that were tough.

JF: Did you have trouble keeping the ball out of areas from which it was tough to get up and down?

LJ: Not really I had good luck getting the ball to places where it was manageable. Even coming out of the rough I did a good job of getting it to where I could get up and down...if I got it out. It was thick in some places. but I didn't hit into much greenside trouble.

JF: Olin Browne said the worst thing for him about the rough was he had not practiced the angles of approach to pins from those spots so he had difficulty being confident with his line. Did you find that to be the same in your case.

LJ: It was more the lies for me. If I had a good lie, I got it to a safe place. If I didn't, well I didn;t score as well.

JF: Thanks Lee, good luck at Baltusrol.

LJ: I hope I'm there. Thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home